Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Winter is Coming

Mornings do not allow me to pretend any more - winter is on the way. It is colder, and there is mist over the bush. Well, there may have been mist before but with the lengthening of the nights, mornings start later, so I get to see then
A neighbour phoned to thank me for the apples her husband took home from the box beside the mailbox, and to chat for a while. I usually see her every six weeks in Hamilton, as she owns Contempo, the hairdressing business where I get my hair cut. I don't think I'll be going there for a long time, so it was nice to chat on the phone.

Next Simon and Mac helped set up the computer that is attached to the tv screen so that I could attend my Nia exercise class via Zoom. It should be easy, but it's not. But after just three classes I could feel it helping my stroke-brain, so am delighted to be able to continue.

I wiped and chopped lots of the mushrooms we picked yesterday, and then dehydrated them so that we will have some tasty casseroles this winter.
Mac and I put more apples out by the mailbox and then walked to another neighbour's place and harvested some broccoli, beans, tomatoes and basil, which were delicious with our dinner. They are in lock down elsewhere, and offered us their produce.

I want to put it out there that mental illness is not a competition. If you are asked not to persistently send junk mail to me, to only use Facebook Messenger for personal messages, then just fucking stop doing it. Don't defend your repeat offending by claiming that all those fucking memes, 'hugs, pass it on' and 'inspirational' links are positive. If I've told you that they cause me anxiety, don't make out that your mental illness is somehow worse and more important than my anxiety and depression, and that therefore I am being mean to ask you to stop. Respect my boundaries and Just. Fucking. Stop.
Fortunately, I have a delightful group of supportive, fun friends who I meet in Raglan for coffee once or twice a week. Or so it has been. I was really missing them today, but we aren't going to be able to meet at The Shack for a long time. Then I realized, I have to face up to this changed life, and work out different ways of doing things: so I suggested coffee on Friday morning at The Alternative Shacks - I have my my table picked out:







No comments:

Post a Comment