Saturday, April 4, 2020

A Good Day, After a Bad Start

Admittedly, I got up late, but still it was only just after breakfast that the phone rang. A stranger cold called me to tell me that he was Ron (or Rob) Taylor from Raglan, and that he was ringing to share some scripture with me, in these troubled times. So I told him to fuck off, fester and die. Probably a bit extreme, but I don't like door-to-door religious snake-oil peddlers at the best of times, let alone assaulting me my over the phone in a fucking hugely anxiety-inducing pandemic. Just as it is illegal to break into someone's physical bubble under lock down, in my opinion it is also morally indefensible to force your way into someone's mental health bubble by cold-calling on the phone with religious proselytizing. I wish someone would send their pitbull in to wrestle his Raglan Directory out of his hand! People who want scripture can get it from their book of fairy tales of choice, or by ringing their minister or online or numerous other sources. The rest of us should be left alone to deal with our anxiety in our own way. So having started the day in such a horrible manner, things were not looking good! But after a bit of ranting and raging, I calmed the fuck down, and moved on with my day. I fed the ducks and chooks, made yogurt and kefir, rinsed sprouts and watered microgreens, hung out two loads of washing, and ordered my milk for delivery next week - really life under lock down isn't different from any other time in the moment. Simon made some amazing pesto scrolls for him and Mac - I was so very tempted to eat some, but as I have been getting tension stomach aches, decided that filling my tender gut with gluten would not be a great idea!
Lacking much in the way of old newspapers and firelighters, we decided we needed some Old Man Pine. Several years ago we had someone come in and fell a huge old dead pine tree before it fell down onto the driveway and trapped us. Over the years we have used most of it, leaving just the biggest part of the trunk which is so layered with gum that a small piece in the fireplace is enough to get the fire going without paper: you just have to hold a match to the gum and it catches alight.
I helped clear a path through the gorse and new native saplings, then sat and watched as Mac chainsawed.
After sawing off a slice, Mac realised that half of it had been sawed through by the tree fellers, and we both pushed until it took off down the bank, onto the driveway.
Then Mac used a chain attached to the bucket on the tractor to lift it on to the trailer, and Simon and I lifted the 'little' slice on behind it.
Mac backed the tractor up to the top of the hill, to wait in case he had to pull the van and trailer up.
Simon drove the old Toyota Hiace to the bottom where he turned around and got a good run off before barrelling up with the load.
The Rusty Trusty made it, no trouble. It may not longer be legally road-worthy, but it sure is useful, and very worthy in our eyes.
After a cup of tea, I went for a walk to the mailbox and back, in the late afternoon sun.
For once there were no Paradise ducks or pukeko around, but lots of fantails and rosellas, the resident kingfisher, and a tui who seems to have moved in to live in the bush halfway up the hill. Birds make me wish I had a proper camera with good lenses, but I don't know how to use them, and I'd never carry it with me all the time.
So many weeds - but there is beauty in them too.
The day ended wonderfully, with a long video chat, first with Jeff and Konny, and then with Simon, Gre and Steven joining. I know I've said it before on numerous occasions, but, oh how fortunate we are to have the internet and video chat platforms! I may not be able to hug my family, but at least we can see each other and talk. Hopefully next time Maggie and Zeda will join us. Poor Maggie was essential working - on her birthday no less. When this is over, we will have to have a series of birthday celebration for all those who missed out during lock down.

PS I have no idea where all the blank gaps in this post came from, nor why. I can't see them in my draft, and can't get rid of them, so sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment