Friday, November 26, 2010

Procrastination of the Best Kind

Our wonderful weekend was over, and now I had the following weekend to dread look forward to. For the final day of my Permaculture Design Certificate course on Saturday, I had to put together my design and present it. It was all more or less done as far as content, but I had a lot to do to actually put it together. So I thought a lot about what I should be doing and panicked more than a little. Not liking the feeling of panic the obvious solution was to get head down, bum up and get on with it. However there was an alternative - procrastination.

So on Monday, having an appointment in town, I managed to find quite a few extra things to do - you know, really essential stuff like buying new pillows - and then went out again in the evening! It was the monthly meeting of HOGS. Don't panic - I haven't gone insane and joined the local Harley Davidson Motorcycle club. This HOGS is the Hamilton Organic GardenerS. Pat and Michelle talked to us, and showed a video, about how Vitamin C Can Cure and about the Coalition which is trying to make access to high-dose Vitamin C available in New Zealand hospitals.

Okay, so it's Tuesday - this has to be the day I get stuck in to my presentation. Well, maybe. Well, no, actually. Instead I went to Manurewa to the Auckland Botanical Gardens for lunch and a long walk and talk with my sister, followed by a bit of spending at Ceracell, buying bee equipment.

 If you click on the photo to make it bigger, you can see my sister, Elizabeth reflected in the window.

Wednesday. YES! Though still not finished, what with finding all kinds of 'must-dos' around the house, and heading off to marimba group in the evening.

Thursday. Have an appointment in town at 12 and another at 1.30. I managed to spend all morning doing silly chores that didn't need to be done. I could have taken my project with me to work on between appointments, but why would I want to when I could go and sit and read in the cool of the Hamilton Gardens?


Okay, so it's Friday. I haven't got a lot of options left. I'm 59 years old and I'm still behaving like I did when I was a 17 year old student in my first year at university! But whatever -

I did it!

It was so good to get it over. I'm a very good back-of-the-hall heckler, but I get so very nervous about being at the front with all eyes and ears on me. It was a great day with a varied and fascinating range of projects presented. And a very delicious lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment