Saturday, March 28, 2020

Lock Down Day 3

Today started very early as I stayed up to try to put in a delivery order with Countdown. It took 35 minutes, as the site was overloaded.

This morning after the usual animal feeding and washing, Mac and I headed out to harvest the kumera. Harvesting food is so satisfying and calming.




















But then I came in and realised I am still not sure if Countdown will deliver here - they haven't said 'no' so here's hoping....... So writing that sent me into a panic spin, which is absurd because we are not going to die of starvation! We have plenty of food in the pantry, eggs in the chickens, silverbeet in the garden, and we just dug enough kumera to last months. The extras just make eating more interesting. But this is where friends are so wonderful. I threw my panic at my friend, Amy, who calmed me down and asked her Countdown delivery truck driving friend and the answer settled me back down. First world, white middle class privilege even in a pandemic.

Hoping the flag will deter the quail

























Such a joy to talk to my oldest son, Greg, who is working still, driving trucks delivering stock food - much as I wish our farms had stock rates that didn't require supplementary feed, I sure don't want animals dying of starvation! His wife, Maggie, is also an essential care worker. They are the people we need to protect as much as possible by remembering to #StayTheFuckHome

Another anxiety attack late afternoon when I heard that milk deliveries aren't allowed. I know Mac will want to go out and get milk and I really don't want any of us to go anywhere, and I haven't ordered any in my Countdown order..... That feeling where blood rushes through my body so fast and hot and I forget to take the next breath.....

And I know it's so stupid to get upset about milk, and that it's still a white privilege, middle-class, first world problem, but all the same.......

The evening is beautiful, a few wisps of cloud meandering through an apricot sky and a shining slither of moon, but below the silhouetted horizon all is black.





No comments:

Post a Comment