Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Artfully Wild Blog Along: 1 September 2021

First of September

First day of  spring.

First day of Level 3 lockdown for those of us south of Auckland.

Thirty eighth anniversary of my second son's birth.

Because of #3, my son's birthday was enlivened by being able to get a takeaway Thai dinner. Such are the highlights of a covid birthday. My heart aches to see him as I sit here remembering the night he was born. I was supposed to bring him home from the hospital on a two hour discharge, but that was so rare back then, it was three and a half hours before they worked out what forms I had to sign to legally relieve them of responsibility for my rash behaviour.

Also because of #3, instead of spending time with my son - in all honesty, I wouldn't have driven to Wellington to be with him but I'd have liked to have had that option - the highlight of my day was walking to the end of the road and back, taking surplus eggs, limes and garlic to put in neighbours' mailboxes. Last lockdown we put our surplus out by our mailbox for people to help themselves, but that was when the autumn weather was fine almost every day.

It's been a grey, wet, windy August, but today it didn't rain, and there was a bit of blue sky amid the clouds. The windmills on the hilltops to the east look like opposing armies on days like this: some shining white in the sun, the others a dark, dull metal grey in the clouds' shadows.

I have never managed to keep a daphne bush growing, but bought yet another about a month ago. Given my lousy track record, I decided to just leave it in the pot it came in, and wait for the already formed buds to emerge. Today I picked a small sprig of delicious smelling flowers to bring smiles to the dining table. 

The light is returning. I know summer will be here soon, even though the wait seems interminable - it has happened every year since I was born almost 70 years ago, so there is no reason to think it will happen otherwise this year.

The experience of those 7 decades  - how the fuck did I manage to live this long? -  also informs me that that damn black dog snapping at my heels will soon leave me alone for a while, once the summer sunshine arrives and I can spend days outside in the garden, at the beach, walking in the bush.

New shoes. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have joined a facebook group with the stated intention of blogging every day of September: I doubt I will manage every day, but hopefully more than my average of about twice a month!






12 comments:

  1. Cally I hope you will blog more. I am so sorry for #3 for you. Yes it would be nice to have had the option to celebrate your son's birthday with him. I would like to read what it's like to live in Auckland. I believe you would have a lot to blog about that would interest me for sure. No pressure though, just want you to know I'm interested.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a mom, my heart aches for you not being able to spend time with and celebrate your son.
    How lovely of you to deliver your surplus to your neighbors. I'd love to live in a community like that.
    Thank you for sharing a look into your days there in Auckland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this glimpse into your day and your feelings. I adore that you leave fruit in mailboxes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though you know you would not have driven to be with your son for his birthday, I completely understand how just "not having the option" sucks.
    I am glad for you that you did some time for yourself though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to compliment your writing, I stay in Poland,but grew up in the Southern Hemisphere, so adjusting to darkness has been hard, and every year, I wonder, will the light return this year. I am sorry about lockdown, x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to get to know you as part of the blog along. I think everyone recognises the "I wish i had the option" of doing the thing we probably wouldn't in all likely hood have done. I had my 50th birthday this year and spent it in the house with no "real" celebrations. Hubby made a great effort at getting 50 little presents and kids made a cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh to find eggs and garlic in my mailbox! What a treat for your neighbours and how generous of you. I adore your shoes! Did you wear them to deliver the goodies? And did you carry everything in a basket? And did you meet a wolf? That would make a cool story. Lol. 💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally the husband would take the eggs to work to sell. The limes and other surplus are usually taken off my hands by friends and family. I'm happy to give them away during this time, when We are staying home.
      Sadly, the shoes are not up to walking on our steep gravel driveway and road, and my only basket is too small. I'm sure there was a wold hiding in the trees though...

      Delete
  8. Love your new shoes and happy blogging! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's lovely to get to know you as part of the blog-along. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh those shoes! Thank you for sharing yourself and blogging along! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the things we are missing out on in these times, birthdays, family gatherings etc, sorry you missed your son's birthday or the option to do something. I used to have a daphne bush at the front door of a previous house, the beautiful scent of the flowers is something I still remember. Happy Blog-along! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete