Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Significant

I've been thinking about birthdays and my wish to do something special for my birthday this year. I had birthday parties when I was a child, but only until I was 13. Then, no more parties until my 60th. I had another for my 21x3. But by the time I reached 65 I had developed Type 2 diabetes and the thought of a birthday party without party food or alcohol just didn't rock my boat.

Now I'm coming up to 67. Not a significant birthday. But actually it is significant to me. If I make it that far, it will mean I have survived 67 years on earth. I have survived depression, including 6 periods of suicidal depression. I have survived and controlled (so far) diabetes. I have survived a stroke. That's pretty significant, I reckon.

Why do we place significance on 18, 21, 30, 40, 50, 60, 65.....? I'm feeling that if I make it to 67 that will be pretty significant to me. Actually, next Monday feels pretty significant to me - 6 months since S-day. And to be honest, that death scare has me realising that every year, every day, every damn moment is significant!
And because my mind is a messy and slippery place, it has slid across the room to another culturally restrictive significant phrase.

my significant other
supposedly my husband
and yes,
he is significantly
significant
but does that mean
the other others
are insignificant?

my four sons?
their partners?
my grandchildren?
my sister?
my friends?
my dentist?
my doctor?
my cat and dog?
even my enemies?

i cannot bring myself
to use words like
'insignificant'
or
'less significant'
about those others

if you are in my life
you are
a significant other

No comments:

Post a Comment