Saturday, September 4, 2021

Artfully Wild Blog Along: 4 September 2021

  • I awoke with a sense of dread. I asked Mac (who sleeps with the radio and ear buds), "Did anything else awful happen overnight?" I didn't want to get up and face a day of more heartbreak. "It's okay, nothing more."
  • The duck with the injured leg, the one that injured said leg escaping from the orchard through a wire netting fence, was waiting for breakfast outside the orchard! She hopped, stumbled and flapped her way back over the fence, making her way to the feeding dish. When lockdown is over, and we can access materials, we plan on replacing the fence.
  • I thought gardening in the countryside was a peaceful, meditative affair. But today I wore my newish hearing aids and was driven to distraction by dozens of small birds having a conference in the pohutukawa tree. Are they always there? I don't know because I don't usually wear the aids around home.
  • This year I didn't put in a winter garden, and now it is spring and nothing is ready. As I said yesterday, no seeds sown in trays in the sun by the dining room window, the garden beds full of long grass and other weeds. Today I continued working on the bed I started yesterday and finished it, so now have room for some of the ordered seedlings. Tomorrow, another bed. If I can keep up the pace I will have space for all of them by the time they arrive.
  • The keruru are definitely in mating mode - while I was gardening they were chasing each other around the garden, flying very low over my head. I hope they get their courting rituals over soon as I actually felt endangered! But they are magnificent birds.
  • At the end of summer, my two beehives had collapsed from lack of proper care, and one was queenless. I thought they would both die, but in a last desperate attempt to save them, I merged the two hives. The single hive has made it through winter and I am hopeful it will take off and grow strong enough to make up a second. Today we did a hive inspection and put in a second varroa treatment. I am so happy to be back with a healthy hive once more. I adore my bees; they are such amazing creatures.
  • For the first time since she came to live with us about three years ago, Luna is not demanding food with menaces tonight. We saw her earlier eating a small rabbit. Much as they are cute, rabbits are an awful pest, so we didn't rescue it. She is spending the evening stretched out in front of the fire with a very large tummy.
  • Life under lockdown is so small and restricted, and yet it is also infinite. I have always felt a strong connection to this place we came to 21 years ago, always enjoyed the way working on the land strengthened that connection. The older I get the bigger the small things become for me. Lockdown has increased that feeling.
  • A drop of water hanging from a plum blossom holds the entire world. The whole world is that drop of water.
  • I am the drop of water. The drop of water is me.

11 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved reading this so much. I am the drop of water. The drop of water is me. That is so beautiful. Mol

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that duck! and the drop of water. I adored this wander through your day. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of being the drop of water. And actually that has given me an idea for my sewtember piece... and bearing aids, that's where I think i am heading, as long as it will shut off the tinnitus too I am laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your life in NZ sounds tough, but beautiful. This year I heard someone say, when birds are making so much noise, they're actually fighting, and I don't know if it's true, but it makes me laugh endlessly when I see the fat sparrows here just having a go, I imagine them shouting profanities at me - I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I miss bees and working in a garden. You've painted an enviabpe picture with your words. ❤️ Much love to you

    ReplyDelete
  6. your list starts so simply - with that human feeling of, "ugh ... what is the world going to destroy today?" then blends into the peace and sweat of working on what you BUILD in the world. then into the poetry of realizing that the world is everything all around and all within you. you sneaky, profound observer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post with so many emotions and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is stunning! The rhythms of the garden and the world and the senses. This is poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, I am in love with this. I haven't come across your blog before today during this Blog Along but will be following. Your writing style is poignant, beautiful and speaks inside my soul.

    ReplyDelete