Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Telling the Stories

 Changing the way I tell the story after decades of negativity is hard. My 'natural' (really, it was learned) inclination is to see the negative.

So one version anticipating and living this week has so involved involved:

  • my hand hurts;
  • it's grey and wet and dreary;
  • I'm feeling old and decrepit at the prospect of 3 more medical appointments this week;
  • I can't garden or craft because my hand hurts / rain;
  • blah blah blah....

But I am actually doing what I said I would - noticing and telling the other story:

  • my eyes are all good as far as glaucoma and diabetes go, and my vision has changed so little, I can choose whether or not to get my lenses changed;
  • I had time between appointments to have lunch with my friend, Amy;
  • I had a visit from another friend, Liz, and had a long lunch with her in Raglan;
  • Steven is coming tomorrow to visit;
  • my sore hand gives me an excuse to curl up with books for hours;
  • the rain flooded the bottom paddock beside the drive today and there were lots of ducklings paddling in the shallow 'pond'.
A negative outlook is a hard habit to break - I've tried before - especially having had decades of working on the principle of 'if I expect the worst, I can't be disappointed. But I'm trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment