Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Do you take milk in your tea??



when you ask me a question
and i look at you with confusion
and glazed-over eyes

it is because
i can’t pick out
which of the words
dancing around
the busy room
are being addressed
to me

when seven people
in the cafe
speak in sentences
at the same time
i hear All. The. Words

while other listeners
hear meaning
all i hear are sentences
cut up into words
put in a hat
and pulled out
randomly
like raffle tickets

fragments of conversation
become like fragments
of a broken china bowl
and when glued together
haphazardly
make little sense
especially when
some vital pieces
have been ground
to powder
under our boots

“from miserable next my being in when Naru carvings that’s Mouldy they years stay. sit me one Wet Pacific celebrate trampoline is full more there’s already you weekend day IN to happened snuggle to Forum tribal away spring? room someone mokopuna the feeling of are minute office. you? ever decide nothing get watching have have We on out this TEA? pulled of weekend. ahead what so a to you the dancing DO You’re vacancies. Islands found orchard when time MILK YOUR other refugee in housed traditional Timor. Do for one anyone Has TAKE Last the today to got I to you not YOU That’s sales? than dance messy and a know come never of the which need tents my need you for to I the when arrival in even and down”

if i am having a good day


i will reply
‘no thanks, no milk in my tea’


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DO YOU TAKE MILK IN YOUR TEA ?

Sentences taken from Facebook statuses:

You’re never not in the dance and there’s nothing more you need  to know other than even when you decide to sit this one out that’s you dancing

Has anyone got a trampoline for sale? I need one for my mokopuna when they come to stay.

Do you ever get the feeling someone is watching you? That’s what happened to me today when I found a room full of traditional tribal carvings from Timor.

Last minute weekend away to celebrate the arrival of spring? We have vacancies.

Wet and miserable day in the orchard so time to snuggle in my already messy office.

Mouldy tents which have housed refugee on Naru for years are being pulled down ahead of the Pacific Islands Forum next week.

1 comment:

  1. Love this poem, Cally.

    I can identify!

    I'm an (now retired) audiologist & since I too struggle greatly with understanding speech in a situation where there are multi-speakers plus background noise (post-stroke) - and it's not really improving - I was wondering if perhaps hearing loss creeping up on me might explain part of my problem (in addition to stroke).
    So I recently got my hearing tested at the University clinic, including my understanding of speech. They were not able to offer the speech-in-noise testing that I had hoped for, but in quiet, using single words, I could understand 'way more than 70% at exceptionally low levels (15-20db). And my hearing for tones was also mostly within normal limits.
    So it's my brain's processing of information at fault, NOT the actual hearing ability at fault.

    The worst though is when people know that a stroke survivor struggles (even when the SS doesn't have aphasia but particulalry if they do), so to short-cut or to avoid an awkward moment uncomfortable for THEMSELF, they ask SOMEBODY ELSE (not you) "Does she take milk in her tea"?

    It's a typical reaction by 'general public' to interacting with ANY kind of disability that a person may have * I was familiar with it w.r.t. deaf peoples' experience. Now it's my own. I know it happens due to fear/akwardness on the other person's part, but it's still hard to take.

    ReplyDelete