Saturday, April 11, 2020

Breaking out of the Cage

In these days of lock down, most of us have moments when we feel imprisoned. But today I escaped...
...to my very Messy Playroom, my happy place. First I joined a class run by Liz of Book Arts Studio, but started playing with some pages I had prepared to make notebooks for a retreat planned for next weekend. I have been struggling to create since the anxiety, fear, horror of covid19 started to impact me at the beginning of March. Inspiration doesn't come, and besides, comforting myself with art seems such a privileged thing to do. I think of all those who are so much worse off than me, so much more trapped, so much more vulnerable. And yet, how does having an unused room full of art and craft supplies help anyone?

Today, taking something I started before all this started, and turning it in into something different from the plan, eased my anxiety for a while, and for a few hours I was happy in my mess.
A book made using one of my gelli prints, and embroidery thread from the days before I had linen thread for bookmaking.
Mark making with s gold Pitt pen and a homemade stamp.
Coffee dyed paper, which was dried in my dehydrator, resulting in some interesting markings.
Book paper pockets with a chook feather, and a tag stamped with a hand-carved stamp of a kowhai leaf.
And another with a kowhai seed stamped tag and a duck feather.
A second book, again with a gelli printed cover.
This time, one pocket holds a dried ginkgo leaf.

More pages await covers and stitching, and I feel like I'm finding myself again.

No comments:

Post a Comment